Is a sedentary lifestyle weighing you down?
Most of us know that a sedentary lifestyle is bad for us. We know that sitting all day means burning little calories and leads to us piling on the pounds.
The problem is that office work has now become the most common occupation, and this leads to hours of sitting, and very little movement. Unless you decide to quit your job, you need to find away to stay more active in your day.
This can sometimes feel hard, with work being busy and time being at a premium; but making some small adjustments to your day can make all the difference.
Try these simple but effective tips to stay a little more active in your day:
- Alternate between sitting and standing at work. If you’re not lucky enough to have an adjustable desk, simply stand and sit down every 5 minutes. Put a silent alarm on your phone and after a while this will become a habit.
- Avoid the lifts and take the stairs. If you work on the 20th floor, walk the first 3 flights. Add a flight of stairs a week and before you know it you’ll be nearly striding high!
- Get off the train a station before your usual stop and walk the rest of the way.
- Never ever stand on the escalators.
- Walk to your colleagues desk instead of emailing or calling.
- Go for a walk before eating your lunch. Then walk back after.
In a world that is becoming more and more sedentary, we must take every opportunity to stay on the move. Every step counts.